The Big Goal is to see 100 countries… but why stop there? According to the United Nations there are approximately 196 member nation states in the world today and I want to see half of them. Some areas are more explored than others, some continents I have a bigger passion for and I can not tell you what countries will constitute or be a part of the 100 that make up The Big Goal. What I do know is that I want to see all of them, but 100 seems like a more reasonable goal… as reasonable as it can be of course.
It should be noted that there are two lists out there indicating how many ‘countries’ there are in the world. The first, which I mentioned are the nation states recognized by the United Nations that I will use as a reference for The Big Goal. However, there is a completely different list, that I will take into account if and when I get the chance to visit geographical oddities (such as Easter Island or Hawaii for example). This list is comprised by the Century Travelers Club who have their own list of 321 ‘countries’ and territories. This is also an elite club for travelers who have visited 100 or more destinations on their list. According to the Century Travelers Club, I am currently sitting at: 71 (as of December, 2015). This includes: Amsterdam, Bali, Corfu, Hong Kong, Istanbul (European Turkey), Antalya (Asian Turkey), Java, Sicily, Zanzibar and the Western Sahara.
Additionally are geographical errors, or rather, Countries that don’t exist. To which, I have only been to Freetown Christiana, the self-proclaimed autonomous country in the middle of Copenhagen, Denmark. It has 850 residents and it’s own laws. There are many more, to which I hope to discover slowly.
This is my current Country Hit List organized by continent and geographical area.
Total Count on Goal: 61
- Canada: Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia
- United States: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Virgina, Washington DC, Hawaii.
- Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua.
- Cuba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, The Bahamas.
- Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Portugal, Romania, Scotland, Spain (Canary Islands), Switzerland, The Netherlands, The Vatican.
- Turkey, Qatar
- Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mauritius, Morocco, South Africa,Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam.
- Australia, Indonesia, Fiji.
- None to date.